Everyone associated with digital marketing knows how relevant content is when you are making a website search engine optimized. To satisfy the pallets of both viewers and search engines, one needs to produce high-quality content. But good content alone is not the king; internal link building plays a pivotal role in driving traffic from one page of a website to another.
What is Internal Linking?
Internal linking is linking one page on a domain to a different page on the very same domain. Internal links are commonly used in the main navigation. Internal linking is essential to any website as it helps establish site architecture and spread the link juice.
Internal linking is essential for each and every page on a domain as it confirms the structure of the website and helps to bind all the pages of the domain like a net that connects dots.
If we put it in simple language, we need google to find our website. Internal linking helps google to find the existence of a website and give it a rank. Now this internal linking will give google a clear idea about the page you are promoting. In this way you will be judged and can get good rank and eventually good business. That’s why internal linking is very much important for a SEO focused website.
What’s the difference between internal links and external links?
When you are clicking on a link that takes you to another page existing on a different domain; you are clicking an External Link. But when the link takes you to another article posted on the same page or another page on the same domain; you are clicking an Internal Link.
What are the benefits of using Internal Linking?
There are a lot of benefits associated with internal Linking, only if you know what you are doing and you have proper planning. It helps a developer in two ways:
- 1. You have to satisfy Google on one hand. So internal linking shows Google that you have some efficient and attractive content to offer to your viewers. It also shows a hierarchy of the website to Google that helps them find and rank your website on the SEO calculator!
- 2. On the other hand, you need to satisfy your clients and here efficient internal linking will never let your viewer leave your website. Efficient internal links will be provided to the viewer and he will find some attractive and informative contents to hook on. So, you are going to get an efficient client for sure!
We know everything about internal linking. Let’s now focus on how to optimize this wonderful thing so that it can help us in building a beautiful website. The ways of optimizing it are described below:
1. Focus on the high responsive pages: Lots of pages are there in your website and some of them get high views and some not. You need to focus on those pages that get maximum amount of views. You need to make sure that these pages attract maximum people and they are quite informative to all types of viewers.
2. Making inlink silos: When you are focusing on the pages that do not get enough views, you need to write attractive contents for them. Now with those attractive contents, you have to share links of contents that have quite similar topics; may be some links of your high viewed contents. This will increase the internal link reach and allow you to provide inlink silos that make your website an attractive one in return.
3. Write like the Wikipedia guys do: Anchor text is very much important as it shows the standard of your content and helps Google understand how great impact your content can provide. So whenever you get a chance to create content for your pages, try to incorporate as many relevant keywords as possible. Just the way a Wiki guy writes articles, try to incorporate the technique in your case; it’ll help!
4. Don’t leave behind the weak links: As the time passes, your website will tend to grow. Every second day you are posting new content on your page. With that, your old and weak contents get hidden and no one can find them unless you dig them up. Post links of these contents on the pages of your most viewed contents and in this way Google and the viewers can get to see these old articles and will see how beautifully and gloriously you evolved as a content builder.
If you have an active page on board that means this page is viewed by Google and clients every day. So, you are in the race no matter what. Now what you need to incorporate is that you have to put effective internal links that help people find your other articles. If there are pages on your websites that may not generating organic traffic to your website but they are regularly visited by both Google and the viewers.
But if you have dead pages on your website that are not relevant and people do not give a look at them, it is time to take down those pages. These pages are wasting time and space of your website as well as Google. So, make sure you are only offering your best content to Google.
A Digital Marketing Coach and Consultant, having 9+ years of experience in User Experience Design, Web & Mobile Product Management.